[CAUT] sos. woes

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Nov 19 22:07:05 MST 2007

> Greetings,
>      Ok, this ain't working. Maybe someone else has found the easy way around
> this problem.
>       1917 Steinway M, complete action restoration, went just fine until I
> replaced the underlever assembly with a factory replacement.  There is not
> enough room for the sostenuto rod between the backchecks and the damper tabs.  I
> have even moved the entire underlever assembly distal about as far as it would
> go and it still is interfering.
>    I am wondering if replacing the sos. rod with a late model rod will help?
> The original is one of the "cast" looking rods, and it appears to be larger
> than the modern ones.  Anybody run into this and found a way through it?
> Thanks,
>
> Ed Foote RPT

There should be room to rip three or four millimeters off the
back of the tray for clearance to space it back by either
relocating the holes or trimming the mounting blocks so the
sostenuto will clear the backchecks without coving them. Or
cove the backchecks, or produce a back action assembly that
reproduces the original, or discover a magic spell. This is
another one of those many whatittakestomakethesuckerwork
things. Anything that can be built can be modified to do the
job for which it was specifically built, once you get past the
natural annoyance at the necessity of modification.

Ron N