[CAUT] Getting straight

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Aug 11 15:34:13 MDT 2008

I would like to know more closely just what kind of false beat this
exact <<cause>> is referring to. In particular whether or not this false
beat responds to a change in posture / mass of the compound bridge
termination most commonly found in pianos.

Strikes me as important to re-read his opening statements as to the
basics of what false beats actually are.  If, and I think he is, he is
referring to the classic false beat that we talk about so often... then
we are quickly in a range of contributing factors and not into distinct
causes per sé.

Let me illustrate.

If a false beat ala the kind Jim describes is also (simultaneously) the
kind that responds to a screwdriver being pressed onto the bridge pin
then clearly there are at least two factors involved in this particular
type of instance. One... the false beat occurs when the curl is at a
particular orientation to the string plane AND the false beat occurs
given a given massyness condition at the bridge termination (which can
be affected by addition/subtraction as demonstrated by the screwdriver).

This condition, if occurant  then clearly shows that the classic false
beat is not caused by any one thing at all, but by a given combination
of events that allows the basic condition of the false beat as defined
to occur.

If this eventually can be shown to be true... then it may be possible
(tho I do not say that it actually is) to identify some exclusionary
condition which preempts the false beat condition from occurring at all.
In other words.. by looking at the requirements for the phenomenon, one
may be able to find a way of ruling out them being filled in the first
place.

It should be remembered that Jims experimental environment could not
account for the influence of the bridge itself, the soundboard, and the
interaction of the two in the end vibration that is transmitted out into
the air.  It is entirely possible then that a string that is beating
such that two errant but close frequencies is present, but the expected
resultant false beat is canceled by some mechanism laying between the
string and its apparent termination, and the end sound we hear.

Cheers
RicB