[CAUT] Getting straight

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Aug 11 18:48:34 MDT 2008

Hi RIc,
	This was a controlled experiment with solid terminations. So Jim
Ellis has taken termination (and any soundboard or bridge influences)
out of the picture, and has been able to produce, consistently, a
"false" beating string based only on a single parameter: a rotation
away from vertical and horizontal of the residual curl of the wire.
That's how I interpret his article.
	Now in real life, there may be multiple contributing factors, but
from the description of the experiment, it seems that Jim has
effectively isolated a single cause. As to exactly how that translates
to field experience, that is another question.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu