[CAUT] Position Announcement, SIU, Carbondale, IL

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 16 11:52:15 MDT 2008

Rick Florence wrote:
> Maybe the reason they are still looking is the fact that they are
> willing to pay the swimming pool tender 60% more per hour than the piano
> technician...pathetic!

Utilities companies pay more than that for apprentices with no experience,
and generally provide better benefits!  I really thought it was interesting
that UGA reposted their position.  I don't know what they think they're
looking for.  I know some of you applied, so evidently they've had
applicants?  RPTs at that!

I'm pretty ignorant on Civil Service exams, but isn't that what you have to
take to work for the USPS and other similar institutions?  Maybe some states
require it for all or certain government employees?

This is a Musical Instrument Technician II position.  I suppose that means
"assistant"? (the description doesn't indicate it, but the salary does)

To reiterate earlier posts, the human resources departments research
salaries at other institutions to determine the salary levels they are going
to offer.  So, evidently, they have found similar salaries being paid at
other institutions.  This means one thing, and one thing only:  we're
working for these salaries, so, we're to blame here.  Don't fuss at the
institutions for offering "insulting" salaries.  It is our own colleagues
who are the Judases.

And honestly, what I think is happening here, is that techs are taking the
college jobs just for the benefits, regardless of salary, not considering
that their peers' salaries will be affected by what they accept, and relying
on moonlighting then to pay the bills.  They may even see themselves as
contributing to the good of the community and the institution and feel some
sense of pride that they may be sacrificing to provide a public service.
But they do not realize that they are negatively affecting the livelihoods
of their colleagues who may not particularly be interested in working as a
volunteer piano technician somewhere else.

And, Illinois is apparently not one of those states that completely funds
the employee's benefits package (although I can't find any information about
pension cost to the employee), so the salary is going to be further reduced.
But still, that gross salary is $600/mo lower than my take-home salary was.
One has to pay bills, and I can't imagine a home, insurance, transportation
(I know gas is higher), utilities, food, etc., costing any less there than
it does here.  Even if it is an assistant position, they're apparently
requiring a pretty high level of competency -- no different than needed for
a head position.

Additionally, if one were to consult with the 2008-09 Occupational Outlook
Handbook, the latest earnings information is reported as follows for Musical
Instrument Technicians:  less than $16,230 for the lowest 10% of musical
instrument repairers and tuners to more than $69,280 for the highest 10%.
Median annual earnings in May 2006 was $29,200.  So, on the surface, it
looks like that's about what we're worth.  But I suspect that, because 99%
of piano technicians are self-employed, (despite that the handbook claims
"About 1 out of 6 precision instrument and equipment repairers was
self-employed-most are proprietors of jewelry, camera, medical equipment, or
music repair services.") what that figure actually reveals is that
self-employed technicians can claim an awful lot of deductions as
"expenses", which lowers the "net income" to those kinds of levels.  And I
suspect even among the employed among us, the handbook does not include the
cost of benefits in the equation.  So, it is actually difficult, if not
impossible, to get a realistic picture of what piano technicians are
actually earning.

But with these college jobs, we only have to look in the mirror.  We're
accepting these salaries, and we've got to realize that as long as someone
else is willing to work for peanuts across the country, that is what is
affecting everyone else's salary.  It won't change until we see that that is
what the process is and stand up together to it, against it, whatever it
takes.

I've done my part.  It looks like my old employer is going to ante up 15-20%
more for the next person than I was making when I resigned - they got the
salary band changed (something they couldn't figure out how to do as long as
I was a "satisfied" employee) - and they've already committed to a much
higher level of contract assistance.  While there is no funding for it, they
at least now know they need at least one more full time position.  So, my
resignation was not in vain.  I'm not saying we've all got to quit.  But if
we want change, it has to begin with us.  If you're cool with living
paycheck to paycheck, and having to moonlight after an already full work
week, even though you have a high level of training and skill that deserves
much better, continue to be willing to let others worry about it.

Sometimes rocking the boat isn't enough.  You might have to chop a hole in
it to get other people involved.

Tanner in Caraliner