[CAUT] Position Announcement, SIU, Carbondale, IL

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 16 12:49:06 MDT 2008

So, what you're saying, Ed, is that it is ok for the employers to band
together, to gather information from each other to set salaries based on
what other employers pay, but that the employee has no similar rights?
You're saying that we are powerless to say "NO" to a certain salary level
that may insult our peers.  That we are prohibited from educating ourselves
and others to the hiring process and how to bargain for as much as you can
at the negotiation table?

How then, can companies legally have sales seminars to teach sales people
how to maximize their numbers and profit margins?

We are a guild.  Over the years, the purpose of Guilds has been just that:
to band together.  Many Guilds serve the same function as unions.

I understand your perspective: as a self-employed business entity, you are
correct.  A group of businesses cannot bind together to manipulate the
market.

But as "employees", is it in fact illegal to work together to educate one
another?  To educate one another to realize the reality that the salary you
accept in Illinois will become a part of a VERY ORGANIZED system that
determines the salary of another ISOLATED employee in Tennessee?  That that
very organized system of employers is organized just for the single purpose
of doing what you're saying is illegal: manipulating the market?  Is it
illegal to encourage others in our profession to not be scared you won't get
the job if you say "no" to the salary below the level you can live with?

If that is indeed true, we're screwed.

I very much disagree that ours is a case of simple market economics.  It is
a market based on one-sided information - the employer's side.  It is a
market based much on false and misleading information and ignorance.

If there is indeed a case of simple market economics, it might just be that
the group of technicians who expect to be well compensated for their
training and skills just isn't applying for these jobs.

Tanner