[CAUT] S&S hammer flange rail material

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Aug 20 15:04:01 MDT 2008

If the intent of a cloth strip on the rail is to buffer impact noise,
wouldn't the screw transmit the impact to the rail despite the 'insulation'?

I think the cloth is there to keep the flanges from clicking on the rail
as the screws become loose. Also with beeswax, to stick the little
wanderers in place.
I've removed flanges placed over beeswax, they need a little effort
to remove and
do not go back in place well. Maybe you need to heat the flange to reinstall to
melt the wax and form a new seat, just be certain the hammer is in
the right spot.

That's why I prefer a fine grit emery cloth to grip and position the flanges.
I also like to install washers. They have more of a clamping effect
on the flange
and as you tighten the screw the flange will not tend to rotate and the flanges
become more secure.

Normal hardware store washers are too thick and I just got around to
buying thin
washers from McMaster-Carr, item number: 98017A624.
--

Regards,

Jon Page