[CAUT] Degrees in Piano Technology?

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 27 12:56:29 MDT 2008

Jim-

In the 1980's and early '90's Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte offered a program, which I believe could lead to an Associate's Degree.
In recent discussions about restarting the program (not gonna happen) the answer given was that CPCC now only offers claases which are recognized in the "Standard Curriculum" by the accrediting agency for state colleges. They want all classes to be transferable to 4 year colleges, as part of the plan to upgrade the academic reputation of the college. Apparently there is a book which lists all universally acceptable-for-credit courses

The situation may be different in private schools. Shepard school of Music at Rice was offering a 5 year BMus. degree, with lots of the standard music curriculum and seemingly not that much piano technology. That program is, I believe, defunct. The standard BMus program already has so many requirements that schools have a hard time cramming it into 4 years.

Perhaps degrees in recording and music technology would offer a model.

Ed Sutton