[CAUT] Development in audio recording technology

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Fri Mar 14 09:49:57 MST 2008

I was interested in this thread, so I watched the software developer's
demo movie and read much of their information on this software.  I
suspect that the ability to pick out individual notes might not be 100%
reliable.  A voice in the choir certainly wouldn't work, but even
picking out piano notes within a chord might be a problem at times.

All of the samples shown use Guitar and/or an individual voice with
other instruments.  With guitars, the individual strings are very often
plucked separately from the others, making it easier for the software to
identify them.  A chord on the piano, especially with the damper pedal
in use, might be a bit difficult for the software - it will have a hard
time telling the difference between chord notes and individual partials.
The designers do not want to separate partials from each other, as when
a particular note is modified, they need the entire note spectrum to
change, not just one partial at a time.  So the software is relying on
the ability to identify the attack of the note, which is why I think a
chord on the piano could be a problem.

I was thinking that it would be fun to take a piano recording and modify
the temperament throughout the recording!  It would then be possible to
listen to the exact same performance, exact same piano, but with
different temperaments.

I can see how recording engineers would love this software.  It is a
professional tool, and the price is at the professional level.

Don Mannino

  _____