[CAUT] electronic tuning device preference?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 16 05:36:41 MST 2008

Yes he / she will indeed do so.  And for the more accomplished in our
trade I would submit this is one of the advantages of an aural tuner
over an ETD.  Tho again... the level of precision we (I at least) are
talking about is well beyond any discussion of what is way more then
acceptable as an excellent concert tuning.  This <<inconsistancy>> (at
this level of work at least) is where human intuition and creativity
takes over.  Whether that matters significantly or not to the pianist,
the audience, or anyone but the tuner him/her self is another question.
My take is that in 99.8% of the time... a high level tuning is going to
be perfectly ok regardless of whether or not these <<inconsistancies>>
are applied or not, and that the remainder of the time it will probably
be a tossup as to which approach will be successful for any given pianist.

Cheers
RicB

    an Aural tuner has the ability
     >to colour a tuning in a fashion not attainable by an ETD tuning. I
     >would go so far as to say that unless the final pass is tweaked
     >strictly by ear... an ETD tuning has no chance of such coloring."

    I submit the aural tuner will add colour everytime with
    inconsistency...;-]

    David Ilvedson, RPT
    Pacifica, CA  94044