[CAUT] electronic tuning device preference?

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sun Mar 16 16:25:51 MST 2008

>I think if you ask most ETD using tuners why they use the machine
>instead of just aurally, one of the answers will be
>they suddenly found their solid tunings were in fact drifting
>slightly...i.e. going back over notes previous tuned, even within
>the same unison you were tuning...;-]
>Aurally, we rely on one string as being set and tuning the other
>strings to it and venturing out...but if it changes?   If you
>aurally tune with a temp strip and come back to do the unisons you
>are kidding yourself...

<smile>

One adjusts to that in various ways. I also present to you the idea
that there is a line between reasonable and unnecessary accuracy, and
the machines are well past the line. If a machine were invented which
allowed one to measure a note to a hundredth of a cent, some turkey
would probably think he had to work to that level.

I think that aural tuning allows for a more natural judgment of which
aspects of tuning and voicing really make a difference to performers
and listeners, as opposed to those which are just easiest to measure.
But then, I am biased ...

Susan Kline