[CAUT] well tempered

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Fri Mar 21 20:58:12 MST 2008

List,
I am in a jam having been thrown under the gun by a pianist (he called me last week and asked me to try this on his practice piano and provided me with a part of an article and 2 hours to produce this thing, can I get some cheese with this wine?) who insists that I tune using the Well Temperament suggested by Bradley Lehman in the February 2005 issue of Early Music. I am a fish out of water who has loved the one and only Equal Temp for 30 years. I am trying to embrace this challenge but the pianist is pressuring me to find some consistency and the concert is March 30. The general indications given are tune 5 "normal" tempered 5ths (1/6th comma) then 3 perfect 5ths and then 3 less tempered 5ths (1/12th comma).  Seems reasonable enough to me and not as wild as some but the only experience I've had with historical temperaments, other than enjoying the theory, is a Werkmeister 3 I did many years ago for a recording and the Valotti in my Accu-tuner that I sometimes use for harpsichords. Talk about being machine dependent. If anyone knows of this temperament and has SAT settings for it I'd be eternally grateful. The ETD settings that are given in the article are "deviations from Equal Temperament." They are given either from C or A at 0.0. "A" would work best for me as that is what I am used to, however, the "deviations form ET" has thrown me since I know my SAT includes stretch for correcting inharmonicity. I am doing this on a Steinway D for the concert and a Steinway B for his practice instrument. The article also says all the octaves should be 2:1 which seems more for a more harmonic instrument than the piano. The more I look at it the more confused I'm getting. I could hack it out with the 5ths indications, at least I can tune aurally and use some tests but I'd really feel more comfortable with something in the SAT memory. Also there are no indications given for aural continuous or contiguous 3rds. Any light out there? Sorry to be a burden on the holidays but he actually suggested I come in on Sunday and "fix" this. That's not going to happen, and I can handle the client. It's the temperament I need help with now.
Thank you,
Chris Solliday rpt