[CAUT] uprights

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 5 16:55:22 MDT 2008

IHMO the Steinway uprights will win out if they're in service long
enough. Which would you rather play--a 40-year-old and heavily used
1098 or a 40-year-old heavily used something else? Yes, you'll have
some tone development to do, and they tune like a new Steinway for a
couple of years, and the tuning has to be pretty near perfect. But
then they settle down and behave. And make amazing music.

I'm not sure why you're looking at the K. When I have my musicians
hat on, I LOVE the K's. When I have my technicians hat on, I have to
remember the musicians hat being the point. Monster pianos. Tons of
character. Harder to work on and set up, but when done, about as
stable and long-lasting as anything I'm familiar with. But why spend
the extra $ over the 1098?

My vote would be 1098's for the UW here, but then the verticals are
definitely considered second-class by definition. And likely to be
neglected and kept for a very long time. I tried to get a couple in
last year, but the decision went to a new L (one of the last). We
have over 2 dozen L's and a couple of O's already, and no one could
get excited about spending money on verticals. Lots of excitement
about a new grand.

Doug

On Sep 2, 2008, at 12:24 PM, David Ilvedson wrote:

> List,
>
> My school is interested in a large purchase of pianos...10 or
> more.   They are talking with Steinway.   The Boston would be
> included in the upright part of the purchase or the K52.   Opinions
> on the bigger Boston uprights and the K52.   Obviously, you can
> probably get 2 Bostons for the K52, but is the K52 a decent piano
> these days?
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA 94044

Doug Wood