[CAUT] strikeweight

Zahringer, Kenneth A. zahringerk at missouri.edu
Mon Sep 15 07:21:43 MDT 2008

Hey, All,

Well, I hope everyone hasn't completely forgotten about this thread.  A
couple of months ago there was a discussion of sorting shanks by pitch
vs strike weight.  Albert Picknell took some measurements on a set of
Renner shanks and I offered to do some data analysis.  My summer was
pretty hectic and I just now got around to doing the analysis.  A more
complete report is attached, but here is the bottom line:

Pitch and SW aren't related much at all.  I was a little surprised at
this, but I looked at it every way I could think of and the lack of
correlation was consistent.  According to this data, whatever factors
influence the pitch we hear when we tap or scratch a shank, the mass is
not particularly important.  To say it another way, if you sort a set of
shanks by SW it's different from sorting them by pitch.  Statistical
methods can't say whether one sorting method is better than the other,
or even if "better" is a meaningful concept here.  They also can't say
whether one sorting method is more or less likely to get you the
particular results you want with a particular piano.  This much is very
clear, however: pitch and SW are different things.

The attachment goes into some of the gory details for anyone who is
interested.  If anyone wants to pursue this and furnish more data or
suggest different ways of taking measurements, I will be happy to do
more analysis.  I will try to do it in a more timely manner in the
future.  If you have anything for me, please contact me at
ZahringerK at missouri.edu.  Regrettably, I will no longer be a subscriber
to the CAUT list; I have my hands full with graduate school.

My best to you all,
Ken Zahringer, RPT

Used to be:
Piano Technician