[CAUT] Bass end "rattle" on S&S "D" Being prepped for BrickmanConcert Tomorrow!

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 25 06:44:26 MDT 2008

Michael-

You need to start exploring with a very thin palette knife or thin feeler gauge, looking for an open joint.
Check between the ribs and soundboard, and if you can reach it, between the bridge and soundboard.
BUT ALSO: check the joint of the soundboard to the rim, and under the molding strip on the top of the soundboard along the spine.

If you find a suspect loose place, try packing it with cardboard, bushing cloth, string, or something to see if it stops the sound. If you find the trouble this way, you may decide to inject glue and clamp or wedge it until the glue dries, or perhaps just leave the packing in place.

If that doesn't work, you may need to engineer a wedge to press up betwen the beam and the ribs. This will at least get you through the concert.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Ed Sutton