[CAUT] professor tuning variables

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Mar 5 13:10:53 PST 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 10:13 AM, Fred Sturm wrote:

> 	I think this notion is the result of Mr. Jorgensen's work

	As long as I am criticizing Jorgensen, I should also mention that his
work is largely to blame for what is in the "Historical tunings" menu
of RCT (and much of Verituner - Verituner has a considerably expanded
list, which is both good and bad. I suppose of SAT III and IV and
perhaps Tunelab as well, though I don't know those platforms). Well, I
guess the blame really lies with those who were impressed with the
size and the name of his "Big Red" book, and thought it must be
authoritative.
	The problem being that there are all sorts of things that really
shouldn't be there (little to no historical authenticity or practical
applicability), and there are holes where basic things should be.
Where is Werckmeister III in RCT? Not to be found. Instead we have
things like "John Marsh 4/25 syntonic," "WIlliam Trans'ur" and both
"theoretical" and "equal-beating" versions of "John Preston." These
are worthy at most of being in an obscure footnote somewhere.
	It is really high time we clear the underbrush away, remove the
excess and misleading verbiage, and make this part of the profession
more accessible, and better founded on actual, reliable scholarship.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu