[CAUT] Piano truck acoustics

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Mar 20 13:48:59 PDT 2009

I've had this idea for years now of trying to build a special acoustic
platform for stage grands with acoustics designed to accent and project
lower frequencies ranges of the piano.... dvs 1500 hz downwards.  There
is no doubt lost acoustic energy that one way or the other either spins
out into oblivion or gets randomly distributed by whatever connection to
whatever floor material there is.  Since the energy is obviously there
to begin with... and since we are always looking for ways of making that
nine footer project bigger in that 3000-5000 seat hall.... why not try
and make use of it intelligently ?

One of those things that is no doubt beyond my ken to begin with, and I
will never have time to fool with anyways... but keeps hitting my
curiosity lobe.

Cheers
RicB

    I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the acoustic qualities of
    a piano truck versus having rubber or metal casters.  We have a
    Steinway D (on a truck) in our recital hall that sounds big when
    you're sitting at it, but doesn't sound as big when you're 30 feet
    back, in the audience.  But the Yamaha with big honking metal casters
    doesn't sound as big up close, but sounds bigger from the audience.
    Thoughts?

    Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

    Thanks,
    Zeno Wood