[CAUT] recital policy

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Apr 1 10:06:28 MDT 2010

On Mar 31, 2010, at 8:51 PM, David Ilvedson wrote:

> If those of you who are on some sort of 1/2 time/fulltime situation
> find you need to attend as a working technician, do you subtract the
> hours from your normal work week?

	If I were required to attend, it would be on the clock, and it would
mean less hours elsewhere in the week. I am not on a regular schedule
(by my own choice - I am pretty autonomous), but put in 40 hours every
two weeks pretty much without fail (occasionally if something comes
up, I fudge the time sheet to move a couple hours from one pay period
to another).
	With respect to attending when I choose to, it is a matter of being
part of the community (spending time conversing with various faculty
and students on a regular basis outside normal work hours fosters good
relationships), getting to attend a free concert, and hearing the
instrument in action. There is no substitute for attending a
performance when it comes to evaluating your instrument and your work
on it. I often hear something or other that I hadn't noticed - maybe
some damper return noise, for instance.
	I certainly don't attend all concerts. Spring semester there are
often three or four student recitals stacked up a day. I make it to
some major faculty, some graduate or undergraduate piano recitals,
maybe a few a semester. This week I attended three nights in a row of
our annual composers symposium concerts, partly because many of the
composers and performers are good friends, partly because I am
interested in hearing what composers are up to these days. Some great
stuff (and some rather boring and annoying stuff as well), some
amazing performances.
	A couple visiting pianists (at the symposium) were particularly
noteworthy: Lisa Moore (www.lisamoore.org) and Noam Sivan (http://www.noamsivan.com/
). Moore is the wife of composer Martin Bresnick and plays mostly in
the NYC area, mostly avant-garde music. Sivan is a doctoral student at
Juilliard, also on the faculty of Curtis and Mannes, composing,
leading improvisation workshops. Both are amazing pianists in very
different ways.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu