[CAUT] Piano juries on concert instruments

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 2 12:13:54 MST 2010

Oh, I completely disagree that the music administration clearly has much
more vested in the care and maintenance of pianos than of photocopy
machines. All of the faculty and students depend heavily on the photocopy
machines.  A significant percentage rarely touch a piano.

And, if you'll check the budget, I'll wager they spend more on the
maintenance of the photocopy machines than they do the pianos.  Especially
if you put it into perspective of cost of inventory.

What I mean is this: cost of maintenance of photocopy machines is set by
someone who understands what is involved in photocopier maintenace and what
it costs to actually staff a team of skilled technicians. Cost of
maintenance of university pianos is set by whatever amount is leftover after
everything else is paid for. If you answer to music faculty, your salary and
working conditions are going to naturally be treated as beneath that of
those who have doctorate degrees, because that is how they learn to evaluate
each other.

Wouldn't you rather that your salary and working conditions were managed by
someone who understands the concepts behind maintenance, what is actually
necessary for the inventory and knows what the market is for your skill?  I
mean, I'm thinking in terms of what's best for the technician and inventory
here, not just using other school's situations to keep costs down.
Jeff