[CAUT] damper return noise/una corda

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu May 6 16:43:35 MDT 2010

On May 6, 2010, at 1:33 PM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> You might try fidgeting with the keyframe stop screw.
> Perhaps there is a point of travel which can give you some of the
> sound you want, but not buzz the dampers too much.

	Yes, and that point of travel is where I don't miss a string, where
all strings are always struck. I have one of the Ds under my care set
up that way, and it doesn't have the problem. I am gravitating to just
doing that as a matter of policy.
	One of my other Ds had had that problem in a fairly obvious way for
some time, but I was in a bit of denial about it. It was the older one
in our recital hall, and needed new dampers - and action parts in
general, had the old hammers with too short tails among other issues.
So I finally did the work last summer, and, well, the damper issue
remained, even with brand new felt. I thought fussing with them would
ease the problem. I have fussed a few times when I had the
opportunity. I guess I have made improvements, but the problem is
still there and quite apparent at times.
	I have been stubborn about it because I do like to have that change
of timbre moving from three strings to two, along with u c voicing. It
gives a much broader palette to work with. But I am about ready to
throw in the towel.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel