[CAUT] Preaching to the choir; was University of Idaho Piano Tech Vacancy

Bdshull at aol.com Bdshull at aol.com
Sat May 8 18:47:34 MDT 2010

There was and is no PTG outreach to universities.

The extent of the PTG effort to educate is to publish a Guidelines
document, both hard copy and online.  The ways this document reaches the  school
administrator is either through a PTG member or on the initiative of the
university administrator/faculty member.   One mailer has been sent  promoting
the RPT to the university, back in 2005 or so.

There is no PTG budget (and absolutely no CAUT Committee budget) for any
outreach to universities.  Never has been (with the exception of CAUT
programs at the Institute, such as the Chicago event 8 years ago.   A  great
event, but drop in the bucket.....)

And the CAUT Endorsement proposal, which would "certify" RPTs for
university work, and which would be the first real step towards showing that the
PTG was serious about reaching out to schools and colleges, is likely to tank
in  council this year due to the new board's withdrawal of support, the
bylaws  committee's active opposition, and a general lack of interest among
CAUTs.

In the meantime, schools continue to disregard any certification at all in
the hiring of technicians;  "RPT-equivalent" is defined very broadly to
mean "CPT" - which is just about any graduate of any course.

I completely disagree with Wim assertion that the PTG has reached out  to
schools and colleges;  this has not happened except for the  aforementioned
single flyer several years ago.  This is the kind of  misinformation that PTG
members rely on to believe all is well.

A sound marketing strategy would include the certification of RPTs for
specialized CAUT work, the promotion of RPTs to universities and colleges on a
regular basis, the promotion of RPT continuing education to all
universities and  colleges (support for school funding), and the publication and
dissemination of  a list of unviersities who use RPTs.  And far more, the PTG
hasn't has  a qualified marketing consultant since 1993, we really know better
ourselves.....

And if the CAUT Proposal stands any chance at all of passing, CAUT members
will need to pressure the current board and bylaws committee to reverse
their  reversal and support the proposal which last year's board worked with
the CAUT  Committee to present to council.   And it would be helpful for CAUT
list members to join the PTG-L list and argue the merits of the proposal
there,  where delegates are more likely to get involved in the discussion.

It's amazing to me that we in the PTG are SO individualist and anti-union
that we can't see the merits of Jeff's arguments.  It doesn't require a
union organization to develop a sound CAUT Endorsement, consistently promote
the  RPT to schools and colleges, publish a list of schools which show
professionalism in their hiring of RPTs (including compliance with a minimum
staffing and pay standard).

At present all we have is a list-serve.  It's a great list-serve, but
until CAUT PTG members are willing to spare an extra dues dedicated to meeting
specific CAUT education, marketing and advertising needs, I guess we should
stick to telling Jeff to go back where he came from.

Regards,

Bill

Bill Shull, RPT, M.Mus.
CAUT Committee Member
La Sierra University

In a message dated 5/8/2010 2:27:30 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,