[CAUT] Pure Sound Wire

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon May 10 21:59:47 MDT 2010

On May 10, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Jim Busby wrote:

> Another thought your post reminded me of; Juan spent a week with me
> a couple of years ago. Delightful fellow! One thing I noticed is
> that when he plays, he plays very softly. Never beyond what I would
> consider a mf or maybe a softer f. He owns an Erard (vastly
> different than a D), and when he heard us playing loudly he cringed.
> This might give us some insight into why he doesn't break strings. I
> think he's not used to the demands in U.S. CAUT work, in a "who can
> play the most impressive fffff" environment. Maybe those shops in
> Europe that are buying his wire have clients with tastes like Juan?
>
> Best,
> Jim

	I think perhaps humidity change is also a big factor: in Europe in
general, humidity is very stable compared to most of the US. So they
are probably not contending with 25-40% seasonal pitch changes, not
jerking the wire up and down nearly as much.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel