[CAUT] fire extinguisher powder

Donald McKechnie dmckech at ithaca.edu
Wed May 12 08:00:39 MDT 2010

Ric,

Several years ago we had a vandal break into one of our faculty
studios and a fire extinguisher was discharged in the room. The two
Steinway B's got a good bit of it. The newer one got a bit more than
the older. This past semester I had to replace the strings on the
newer piano as the strings started breaking a good bit.

The powder is very corrosive. It is also very fine and hard to cleanup
completely. I could see the rust develop much more than it should have
and eventually the strings started to break. Anyone who cleans up the
mess must wear proper protective gear as the powder is caustic and can
cause respiratory problems.

Regards,
Don

Donald McKechnie