[CAUT] fire extinguisher powder

wbis290 wbis290 at aol.com
Thu May 13 06:41:59 MDT 2010

Ric,

After reading several different opinions I thought that I would throw in my two cents worth. I would replace the strings. They may look fine now but the long term affects if what is in the fire extinguisher will hurt the strings. Also, I would check to see how much, if any got into the action. You are looking at potential problems with the center pins in the future. I am a volunteer firefighter and know that a lot of what is in fire extinguishers have a lot of long term affects on metals. Wear a mask when you work on the piano. A paper one will be good enough. the residue from the extinguisher is not something you would want in your lungs. Hope things go well for you.

God bless

Bill Balmer,RPT
Ohio Northern University and the University of Findlay