[CAUT] CAUT Endorsement Requirements Misperception - was Preaching to the Choir

Bdshull at aol.com Bdshull at aol.com
Thu May 13 00:36:43 MDT 2010

Hi, Jeff,

Your last few posts lead me to think you are not familiar with the CAUT
Endorsement proposal requirements, and it might be that others have this  same
misperception too.   It would be easy, if one is to just  read Regulations
and Codes Article IV,  to come to the conclusion  that the CAUT Endorsement
might only be attained by attending the CAUT Academy  courses and taking the
4 written tests.  However, this is a mis-read of the  proposal.   The core
of the proposal is in bylaws.  If you don't  have the May supplement you may
go to the PTG Page members area, and follow the  links - resources, forms
and documents, Council 2010, Organizational/LRP:

_http://www.ptg.org/members/docs/2010/2010_Council_Agenda_Section_4-Organiza
tional-LRP.pdf_
(http://www.ptg.org/members/docs/2010/2010_Council_Agenda_Section_4-Organizational-LRP.pdf)

The only requirements in order to obtain this endorsement are that one be a
 Registered Piano Technician, and that one pass a written test on
CAUT-related  subjects.  The CAUT Endorsement is designed like a certification,
similar  to the RPT;   preparation for it is not proscribed but a CAUT Academy
is offered with comprehensive curriculum.  This is similar to  the RPT
itself, where a variety of paths or combination thereof can lead to  the CAUT
Endorsement - trade schools, apprenticeships, the Randy Potter course,  the PACE
lessons.

A CAUT Academy curriculum will be developed and offered, and each  segment
will be followed by written tests.   This road to  the CAUT Endorsement will
be an incredible opportunity to master the knowledge  and skills needed for
college and university work.  However, there are  no proscribed courses to
obtain the CAUT Endorsement in  this proposal.

I would expect that all of the excellent training programs - the Theodore
Steinway Seminars, the Little Red Schoolhouse, etc, that you've referred  to
could be of use in preparing for the CAUT Endorsement, as  they address
many of the skills required in the college and university  setting.   These
courses are limited in their applicant pool, while  the PTG does not, and can
not place anti-competitive restrictions on its  certifications.  Further,
the CAUT Academy curriculum would  be CAUT-comprehensive in nature, unlike
anything else available.

I would also expect that the CAUT Academy, specifically tailored to the
college setting - and not manufacturer-specific - would be an ideal
preparation  for College and University work, as it will be taught by leading
technicians in  the field.

The time may come when the PTG community would approve of additional
testing beyond a written test, but the development of skills tests is a large
project.  Testing must meet a number of standards, and a process  of
beta-testing would also be required.  Needless to say this has been the  subject of
considerable discussion in the committee, as well as in conversations  with
the board and bylaws.  It was felt that this approach  to CAUT Endorsement
requirements would not be onerous or unachievable  by qualified members
(RPTs).

The CAUT Endorsement testing would also provide the candidate with an
assessment of areas needing further training or education.  But there  are only
these two requirements - RPT status and the passing of a  written test.

I hope that you might see that this might satisfy your concerns.  Some
have considered this a "watered-down" and ineffective proposal, but your
arguments actually make the case for the proposal as it is presented, not
onerous, not complex, not unattainable, but still a reflection of a commitment  to
a certain knowledge base, as well as a commitment to continued growth  and
participation in the CAUT community.

The curriculum component of this endorsement is voluntary.  Even if  the
applicant doesn't attend the CAUT Academy, the curriculum is important in
that it defines the skills and knowledge base needed for CAUT piano service,
and  should be an excellent source of CAUT-specific training and education.
Anyone who hasn't studied the proposal should look over the curriculum ;
they will see the wide range of areas the CAUT technician works in.  At
present it is only summarized in "regulations" as:

The CAUT Workplace: Administrative topics.
Concert Tuning and  Preparations.
Historic instrument Tuning and Maintenance
Special Topics in  Servicing Institutional Instruments

A detailed outline of this curriculum title "Components of  Endorsement"
was provided last year to council, and I expect that similar  supporting
documentation in the form of of a beta Policy Handbook with a  fleshed-out
curriculum will be provided this year, too.

Regards,

Bill

Bill Shull, RPT, M.Mus.
CAUT Committee Member

 In a message dated 5/12/2010 3:23:35 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,