[CAUT] Bore distances for Steinway L

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri May 28 10:17:07 MDT 2010

 Paul writes:

>> I may have to consider moving the capstans back a bit, but howdoes one determine how far back to move them.  Being a '24, it's gotthe old tilted caps, which I realize is a part of this problem.

I don't think the angled capstans are the problem, I've seen way too many actions that ran great with them.  If you move the whippens distally, it  increases the leverage at the whippen while leaving the KR alone.  All things else staying the same, you will need more keydip for the same blow. Watch out lest you have .5 keydip, which is unplayable.  You will also lose clearance behind the jack  after escapement when you move the capstans, so be mindful of jamming the jack and having checking problems.

     This piano originally had smaller hammers than L's do today, it may be that this action will play its best with a 16 mm knuckle distance and light hammers.

REgards,

Ed Foote RPT