[CAUT] Down Weight Too High With New Hammers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Sep 21 18:01:42 MDT 2010

On Sep 21, 2010, at 12:05 PM, Fred Sturm wrote:

> To apply the glue, a 1/16" dowel is a great applicator.

I should add that Pianotek sells boxes (1000) of 1/16" x 6" dowels
(actually a medical supply item) quite cheap. Previously I used bamboo
skewers for the same purpose -  a bit thicker.
	About go-bars, I can't use them at the university, due to false
ceilings (with electrical and ductwork up there above the ceiling
panels). That is, I suppose I could work something out, but it
wouldn't be very easy. I have made a go-bar fixture out of 2 x 4s in a
rectangular box configuration, add thick plywood for a bottom, clamp
something to the top to mirror the area to be clamped. I did that to
glue bridges and ribs to a harpsichord soundboard, among other uses.
But I don't have room at the U. The go-bar concept requires a strong
and fixed ceiling and floor, of some nature, which can be improvised
if need be, but must be pretty solid.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico