[CAUT] Physics of the Piano

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Feb 24 13:05:31 MST 2011

Hi All,
	I have been reading a new book, came out in 2010, called Physics of
the Piano, Nicholas Giordano, Oxford U Press. I would like to
recommend it as the best overview I have seen of the issues involved
in the piano from a physicist's perspective. It covers the field quite
well, and explains on a level that is understandable to the non-
scientist, but not dumbed down so as to be watered down. Some new
stuff I wasn't aware of. Giordano has done quite a bit of original
research himself, but he includes material from people like Askenfeld
and Conklin.
	There _are_ a few warts, as is probably inevitable, but it is a great
introduction to the principles and to the experimentation that has
been done in a scholarly way. I wish/hope Stephen Birkett might come
out with such a text some day, but meanwhile this is pretty good as a
starting point.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
“Art is not a mirror held up to reality, but a hammer with which to
shape it.” Brecht