[CAUT] Upright tone openings

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Sun Feb 27 14:39:52 MST 2011

Early 19th-century pianos were normally played with the lid closed to hide the guts and preserve the tuning. In general, loudness and brilliance weren't favored; 'sweet' tone was (we might call it muffled and blurred, they didn't), so keeping the lid shut wasn't a liability. Most players were female amateurs and most piano music was written for them to play at home. Their pianos also were designed to appeal to feminine taste (visual as well as aural). That all started to change with the introduction of the iron frame (for stability) accommodating higher tension and pitch, and the vogue for virtuoso recitals.
Laurence