[CAUT] Fwd: Steinway sound-Hammer weights

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Mar 2 14:49:28 MST 2011

Del
  I was aware of what you are saying as far as the string lengths and sound board size etc not be all that much  bigger in larger pianos. I just did not take the time to say so. Good information.
    I don't really have time to go much further than this (prepping for convention) but but, I have looked at a few more samples of hammer weights from other pianos.
   I weigh and prep a lot of hammers for Ronsen clients and one of the heaviest over all are Yamaha C-7s. Ever played with the weights here? I usually choose to drop off about 1/2 gram or so on the bass end as the first bass hammer often weighs over 10.5 grams and extends a pretty tubby amount of weight thru the bass/tenor. Usually I find that actions with good overall key/action ratios (ie 5.5) are sabotaged with this kind of weight yet Yamahas seem to handle it better than I would guess. Any thoughts.

Dale S. Erwin
www.Erwinspiano.com
Custom restoration
Ronsen Piano hammers