[CAUT] [pianotech] New Format

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Mar 8 21:59:59 MST 2011

Yes, a boycott is probably not the best move, though there may be one by
attrition.  What stands out, however, is that I haven’t heard much positive
about it from anyone (except maybe Fred Sturm) that uses the listserve in
this format.  If there is a positive response to the site it would appear to
come from non listserve users who are, perhaps, simply interested in
perusing the files or browsing around the PTG website, or non technicians
who have a different agenda.  There may well be two factions whose needs are
entirely different.   It’s disappointing that a greater attempt to inquire
about how this format was serving the needs of the community that is most
active in it wasn’t made.  Then again, I know there are many who have
dropped off this list (pianotech) because of the noise and sometimes
frivolous and self serving antics.  However, I'm not sure the new format
will insulate them from the issues that drove them out in the first place in
spite of the posted rules of etiquette.

I think the community of list users is a very vital group in this trade.  A
lot of important and useful discussions are batted around, ideas and
practices are both developed and shared that otherwise would not be, not
easily anyway.  The implementation of a system which threatens to lose a
significant number of them (if we take them—and me—at their word) is really
not serving the needs of that community, the dues paying community no less,
who deserve to be represented here.

If anyone can respond who is in the know about this, what are the options
with respect to salvaging the email format?  Is it an option?  Are we
committed to a termination date for whatever reason? Cost? Contract? Pride?
March of Folly--further commitment to our mistake to prove that we were
right!?

The response seems so overwhelmingly one sided in this, at least on the
surface, that I wonder if the powers that be are taking notice and what
their reaction is.  Are other options being looked at?  What’s happening at
the home office in this respect?  I for one would like to see this issue
resolved one way or the other so we can get back to more important matters,
like work.  It seems at the moment that the complaints and concerns are
falling on deaf ears.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com