PTG EXAM & TUNING FORKS

John Baird, RPT 71023.2217@compuserve.com
Fri, 05 Aug 1994 16:48:36 -0400 (EDT)

To:   Michael Wathen
From: John Baird

>>Please correct my name on your post about E-mail addresses.  My address
should read WATHENMJ@A1.BETA.UC.EDU.<<

Please accept my apology.  I had both your name and addressed incorrectly
spelled "Wathan" with an 'a' instead of an 'e'.

>>...are you still on the CTE committee?  If so I wish to change one of the
rules regarding the setting of pitch.  I feel that the candidate taking the
electronic tuning test should be allowed to set his or her pitch using the
electronic device whatever it may be....I believe that there are a lot of
electronic pitch sources available which are as a group far more accurate
and less subject to changes due to temperature than any of the forks that
were ever made.<<

I had to check my manual, but it looks like the Examinations and Test
Standards Committee agrees with you--for the most part.  Audible pitch
sources are permitted; visual pitch sources are not.  Part of Section 11.3
reads:

  "...all visual tuning aids are removed from the room.  Provide the
examinee with an audible, accurate pitch source for A440.  If you are using
a Sight-O-Tuner or Accu-Tuner with an audible attachment, these _may_ _not_
be used as a pitch source.  A tuning fork, Electro-Fork, or Accu-Fork may be
used."

I take this to mean that all audible pitch sources, which are not also
visual, are permitted, not just the couple of examples given.  Does this
pretty much agree with what you were suggesting?

The manual page I got this from appears to be a revised page, but I'm not
sure.  It's my understanding that any revised pages in the future will have
the revision date at the bottom of the page.  You might check to see if your
manual is up-to-date with the same wording above.

You gave a great class in Dayton last year on preparing to take the Tuning
Exam!  I look forward to hearing any other ideas you have.

Also, the ETS wants to take away some of the mystery of the exams by
bridging the communication gap with the membership by having a monthly
column in the Journal.  If you would want to write an article, or have an
idea for one, Mitch Kiel, our new and energetic ETS chair, would be eager to
see it.

Thanks for your response.  Best regards,

John Baird