A General Tool Question

Wallace F. Wilson (WV) UniversityofCharleston
Mon, 08 Apr 1996 22:09:48 -0400 (EDT)

>I'm in the market for a new bandsaw.  Do any of you have experience with the
>General Stationary Tools that are built in Canada?  From my examination, the
>fit and finish is immaculate and the saw looks like it's designed to
>withstand an atomic explosion at ground zero.  Any experiences would be
>beneficial.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Allan Gilreath

Allan, I purchased a General Stationary bandsaw last year.  It's strong,
easily maintained, easily adjusted, cuts like butter where Delta did not (I
was able to compare them both at the same shop), and there is great
stability in the blade. We had, incidentally, spent some class time using
the Delta, and I thought it was great.  However, fortunately I asked about
the General.  We balanced a quarter on it while it was running, but could
not do that on the Delta.  I also prefer it over the bandsaw that comes with
Shopsmith.

It's a great machine, cuts hardwoods nicely.  Costs a little, though.
Wally Wilson