Prepared Piano

Joel A. Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 15:53:26 -0600

>               State University of New York at Stony Brook
>                       Stony Brook, NY
>
>                                            Joseph Vitti
>                                            Piano Technician
>                                            Music
>                                            516 632-7330
>                                            17-Apr-1996 12:10pm EDT
>FROM:  JVITTI
>TO:    Remote Addressee                     ( _Pianotech@byu.edu )
>
>Subject: Prepared Piano
>

>I have lots of trouble convincing the piano faculty here that preparing
>our new
>Steinway Ds ( plucking, using stickers on the dampers and strings, using
>chisels on strings etc.) will cause them to deteriorate. Does anyone else have
>this problem and is there anything in writing I can use to convince them that
>it would be better to use a piano designated for prepared use.
>
>Thanks
>
>Joe Vitti

Joe,

I echo Jim Coleman's remarks.  We at Wisconsin have a seperate D and L that
is used for prepared piano.  The L is used for extensive preparation with
screws etc.  such as Cage, while the D is used for strimming etc.
        Our composition dept. gives us most of our headaches. Original
compositions often slide thru approval.   Those performing need my approval
and a piano faculty member. Fortunately one of our piano faculty does alot
of prepared piano and teaches a contemporary piano ensemble class.
         Additionally we (piano faculty & I) have a video that we put
together showing many of the problems with prep and performance.  This was
a wonderful project and it involved the faculty.  Quality is not hollywood,
but the info is there so noone can say they weren't told.
        We show how to mark the dampers, how to mark strings - both with
the small round plastic dots that can be found at any bookstore.  The
stickem on one side of these dots does not remain on the dampers or strings
and the masking tape syndrome is eliminated.
        Bunger's 'the Well Prepared Piano' helps define preparation
techniques and gives ideas on how to accomplish the sounds indicated.  Good
luck !