Grand Piano Transporting

John Minor jminor@uiuc.edu
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 00:22:29 -0500

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996 PianoGalry@aol.com wrote:

> To All:
>
> I'm currently in the process of finding a suitable device to move grands
> within the showroom and from the shop area to showroom.  I am considering the
> "Grand Transporter" sold by Pianotech and others, which is actually designed
> for one person placement of the piano onto a spider dolly.  My only two
> concerns with this device are 1) the possibility of the instrument slipping
> while being moved on it and 2) that pesky  $800-900 price tag.

      We use this transporter to move our Hamburg D from storage to stage
and back. The attendants have little problem using it. The three
hydraulic lifts have firm rubber "doughnuts" that contact the underside
of the piano...no slippage at all!

There are a few imitations and I'll check into the one I know of.

John Minor
Piano Technician
University of Illinois
jminor@uiuc.edu