The value of BYU List

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 06:27:45 -0400

Greetings all,
        I recently asked Vince for Jack Reeves address,  so that a fee from
one tuning could be sent, to be used as Irene Reeves saw fit, in his memory.

       Though Jack  has moved on to a larger realm in life, (many of us
believe life is, in a form, endless), his effort and vision continues to be
of tremedous benefit here, to me, today, {see below}.   It is personally
gratifying to feel that I could contribute something back his way, if only,
sadly, in his memory.
Vince's <slightly snipped> response was ;
---------------------------------------
Jack's address is:
486 North 300 West
Orem UT 84057

"Please share with the list what you gleaned from your query re: class
on piano technology for the piano player.  Thanks!"
        The proposal for a piano technology course has been roadblocked in
the curriculum committee.    The chair,(old), has questions of the
"propriety" of teaching a course such as this, the need for this course,
etc......

I HATE REJECTION! so, my response has been to canvass technicians on this
list, musicians and educators on the Piano-L, and others, to build a case for
  education.
      This list, (Jack Reeve's creation), has been invaluable.  I can now
show that Steve Porritt is educating students in this field, (way to go
Steve!), Newton is in the hunt, (good luck Newton, and graphite ain't all
THAT bad!).
Avery Todd has sent me a compilation of his info from the Piano-L venture,
and there are so many more. Many thanks to all of you.
     This is damn fine stuff, when  committee meets again, I hope to have my
arguments so buttressed by contributions from this list and others, that they
will wonder what they are missing.
    James Boyk, who wrote the article in Scientific American, lamenting the
loss of Ken Brown's services,  (don't all of us have some customers that are
fanatically attached to our work?),  tells me  he has seen  just a little
education about the damper pedal, radically alter the students understanding
of pedal technique. A recent harpsichord performance here  was totally ruined
because the student wanted to practise in situ, and put the harp out in front
of the hot stage lights for the hour before the show, (in total ignorance of
what that does to a sensitive soundboard!).
      There is a dearth of knowledge about the instrument we make our living
from,and I believe,  that the more educated the customers, the less
likelyhood of them being taken advantage of by the (seemingly endless number
of ) charlatans in the trade, plus, the educated customer better understands
the additonal expense required for additional work.
       A more educated customer makes more demands on us, which will require
us to provide better service. I know that means more careful work, but it
also means finer work, and better pianos, and for those that embrace
continual improvement, it means more job satisfaction,  security, and money.
      So, to Jack Reeves, you forged this cyber-sword,  I am trying to swing
it broadly, and welcome any information any of you have concerning courses in
the Universities concerning piano technology.

Regards to all,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works
Nashville, Tn