teflon lube

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 08:33:43 -0400

Did you know that graphite is an abrasive material?  It was used in hot metal
print shops to abrade lead off space bars from lineotypes.  I know, it was my
chore as a kid to clean the space bars (a long tapered variable spacing device
used between words that when expanded filled out the line to full width to
prevent hot lead from leaking when the line of type was cast).

Graphite is composed of carbon flakes that slide over each other to provide
lubricity.  We all know it works when applied properly, but I will not use it
because I am such a clumsy klutz that I will often get something of that nature
everywhere except where I want it.

White schmears are easier to hide than black ones.

Have a nice week end.

      Newton
      nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu