Frozen Piano

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 16:28:59 -0400

Don describes;

>A large Krydner Upright (old). <snip>Tuning pins at 20 in/lbs. pitch at -42
cents. (A 429.5).

>This is probably going to go to small claims court. I would appreciate any
>comments that anyone could make. Any advise?

      No surprise to me that an old upright has only 20 in/lbs.  That is a
very normal point of failure in old uprights.  What I don't ;understand, is,
 how can it be worth justifing the time to go to court?
      I don't remember seeing extreme cold having an adverse effect on a
piano per se, but if it was taken into a warm house and brought up to room
temp in less than three days, somebody was stressing the structure like
crazy!
     If the changes were sufficient to cause pinblock failure,  is it not
logical to expect many other glue joints to show failure first?  Things like
action parts, case parts, veneer? It would seem like the pinblock would be
less affected than those other, more exposed joints.
     That is my logic,  but gee, it hasn;t proven to be infallable yet!
regards,
Ed Foote