Ben in Cuba

Horace Greeley horace@compadept.com
Thu, 02 May 1996 20:37:37 -0700

>Lately, our government seems to only listen on important issues
>if many people write or call in.  It is our tax money which the
>government is using to enforce their agenda; so it might be time for all
>of us to drop a note in support of Ben.  If the government wrongly
>decides agains Mr. Truehaft, then we all stand to suffer.
>
>Fred Scoles, RPT

The philosophic basis for the establishment and continuing existence of the
form of democratic republic which we enjoy in the U.S. demands the active
participation of an educated and informed electorate.  (That's Hamilton and
Jefferson, et al.)

The extent to which we vary from that basic formula determines "whether any
nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure." (That's Lincoln.)

A reasonable study of history suggests that Americans will not truly
appreciate fascism until they (we) experience it.  (That's my not-so-humble
opinion.)

But, "we learn from history that we learn nothing from history."  (That's
George Bernard Shaw.)

The notes in parentheses are for those who need them, I hope that others
will not take offense.

Ben's situation is a microcosm of issues we all face (or not) on an
irregular but frequent basis.

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."  (Anon.)  (Or, was it
George Carlin?...)

OK, I'm getting down off the stage now.  Boxes of rotting vegetables have
been conveniently located both stage right and left...

Best,

Horace

Horace Greeley, RPT
Piano Technician & Consultant