Articles on the "Horowitz" Steinway touch weight

Tunrboy@aol.com Tunrboy@aol.com
Thu, 02 May 1996 23:49:16 -0400

I had the good fortune three years ago of working with Franz Mohr and the
"Horowitz Steinway" when it stopped here in Boise.  I must concur with
comments made earlier to its high maintenance.  The letoff and touchweight
are so that it needs constant care in order to keep hair-tolerances in line.
 It is difficult to achieve a controlled pianissimo, but as my pianist
friends tell me, "He willed it to play pianissmo."  And yes, the hammers are
as bright as any I've heard!  However, it should be noted that the brilliant
technicians at Steinway have had the foresight to maintain the tradition of
Horowitz's artistic desires to this day.  The instrument remains in the
condition it was prepared for concert after concert- the fingers of the
master.

Eric Leatha
tunrboy@aol.com