string sizzle

Paul Stephens pauls@ieighty.net
Fri, 10 May 1996 05:55:10 -0700

I have run into a problem on a Baldwin console.  On the tenor and mid
section of the long bridge, the bridge is beginning to split slightly at
the bridge pins.  In some notes, especially in the low tenor, the problem
was bad enough that strings were buzzing.  I let down the tension on the
offending notes to get the strings away from the bridge pins.  If the
pins could be easily pulled out, I reset them with epoxy in the hole and
on the pin.  When I pulled the loose pins on some of the worst offenders,
I found that some pins had been bent during manufacture.  If the bridge
pins did not easily pull out, I used thin CA glue to stabilize the
splitting and assure that the pin was really tight in the bridge.

In general, the tone is significantly improved.  However, on A3 I pick up
a sound which I can best describe as a sizzle on a hard blow.  I have
been able to reduce it some by deep needling the hammer.  I can supress
the sizzle by pushing on the v-bar with my thumb. I am not suggesting
that the is originating there, only that the fleshy part of the thumb
easily dampens the noise.  The noise appears to be coming from the center
and left strings of the unison.  I have seated the strings on the bridge.
 On this piano the top side of the pridge is notched, but the bottom side
is not.  I would really appreciate any suggestions for solving this
problem.  Thanks.

Paul Stephens,
RPT