Slow Times?

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 08 Oct 1996 16:23:31 -0400

Aloha Bill;

 "What I see is parents choosing a $200 Casio keyboard instead of the Lester
spinet.  The student will play on this for a couple of years and as one piano
teacher puts it,"the (students) hands tense up because a very light touch
produces a sound immediately".

Right now the going price for a Lester Spinet (in my area) in working order
would be about $300.  Can you find a keyboard with piano touch for that
price?  In 5 years the Lester Spinet will still be worth $300, what would the
keyboard be worth? Don't get me wrong, I understand the point you are making,
I'm just adding my observations.
Bill Springer, RPT
Honolulu"
_________________seperator_______________

Bill;
 Honestly I was not making a point, although after rereading my post I see
where that might be construed.
  This is really an ongoing conversation with music teachers in this area and
some equally excellent teachers have very diverging views on the subject.
  A Lester spinet in this area sells for from 700 to 900 dollars privately
and from 1200-1400 at a dealer.
  In no way would I ever suggest that any student start with a Casio, or any
other keyboard without 'piano touch'. Used Keyboards, with 'piano touch', in
this area can be purchased in the 900-1500 price range.
  Now 'piano touch' does not feel like a spinet, but a spinet does not feel
like a console, and a console does not feel like an upright, and an upright
does not feel like a grand. However 'piano touch' does simulate the touch in
as much as it has a "let off point" and is sensitive to pressure as is a
piano key.
Only keyboards that have this feature are considered in this question.
  Good point about relative value Bill, the Lesters selling for 700-1400 are
40 &50 years old whereas the keyboards selling for 900-1500 are three or four
years old.
The Lesters sold new for aprox 450.00  and the keyboards sold new for aprox
2700.00 .
Regards
Jim Bryant (FL)