Evaluations

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Sun, 17 Aug 1997 19:58:10 +0000

> Date:          Sun, 17 Aug 1997 21:43:11 -0400 (EDT)
> From:          FRED W TREMPER <f.trempe@morehead-st.edu>
> To:            pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
> Subject:       Evaluations

Fred & List,

Fred, I tried to reply to you private post in regards to my fee
but I received a mail delivery failure post.
Anyhoo, yes of course I am being paid a fee for the inspection.
This was not suppose to be a estimate of repairs but a
"simple, Ha!" report on the condition of the instrument.  I have
reported to her my findings in detail via E-mail (she is working
in Vienna).   What I haven't done yet is give her the cost of
repairs needed.  I have to admit I was a little peeved to find
this kind of a piano being sold for that kind of a money.  I
don't think this piano is ever going to be a great Steinway.
I'm dealing with a so-so piano with someone elses action rebuild
that I would have to make work.  Evidence of a heavily played
instrument, breaking strings, cracked keytops.  There wasn't
anything about it that jumped out and said "potential".   If she
had been employing me before she bought the piano, I would have
without hesitation said pass it up even at a much lower price.
I also know if she is willing to pay top dollar she can get a
fabulous Steinway and thats what she deserves!

David ilvedson, RPT

> You all read David Ilvedson's post concerning the evaluation of the
> Steinway M.  In your replies none of you mentioned that there should be a
> fee for an evaluation.
>
> If the client does not pay a fee a technician is under no obligation to
> provide the service.
>
> If the technician is bidding on a rebuilding job and he must first
> evaluate the piano, he can absorb the cost of his evaluation or he can
> charge it as a separate and distinct fee.  (I suggest the latter.)
>
> If the client pays the evaluation fee, the technician is obligated to
> provide a written evaluation (or a written estimate of the rebuilding
> charges if that is the case).  What the client does with the written
> evaluation is up to the client.
>
> Remember, a technician who is evaluating a piano is providing a professional
> service and should be paid for that service.
>
> Fred
> Fred W. Tremper, RPT
> Morehead State University
> Morehead, KY 40351