When a pitchraise is needed

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 07:23:01 -0500

About the discussion on when two rounds are needed...  Dr. Al Sanderson
measured at what pitch adjustment the plain wire creeps around the hitch
pin.  I mean - How far can you pull up a string in the middle of the piano
before the adjacent string changes too (since they are one length of wire
looped around the hitch pin).  I believe he found that at 5 cents or above
(anybody else remember this from his classes or tech tip handouts??), the
string creeped around the hitch pin.  I know all pianos and wire are
"slightly" different, but this gives us some additional ideas on when two
rounds are needed.  Of course the reaction of the bridges and soundboard to
additional tension is a huge factor, but it is interesting that at only 5
cents we change the pitch of the string adjacent that we just got finished
tuning!!  So if you're doing a 4 cent pitchraise (one beat) and you pull
the string slightly above 440 and lower it to set the pin you've changed
the adjacent string.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.