Appraisal

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Fri, 03 Oct 1997 09:32:08 -0500

Here are some further tips on appraisals.  I had some jewelry appraised
and adopted some phrases from their letter.

First we write a paragraph describing the instrument and noting any
unusual features (ivory keys, perfect finish, outstanding tonal
characteristics, etc.).

For brand new pianos, we write:

"We estimate that the value of the above piano, based on the current
list price, excluding any taxes, is $xx,xxx.00"

For an older piano or specifically for replacement cost insurance:

"Our best estimate of the replacement value of the above piano, based on
current market condition, excluding any taxes, is the the area of
$yy,yyy.00"

At the bottom of the page we print, in italics:

"The foregoing Appraisal is made for insurance purposes only and is
accepted upon the express understanding that NO Liability or
Responsibility is incurred by the Appraiser giving same."

I figured that if the jeweler's lawyer felt it was necessary for the
jeweler, it would not hurt for us to use it also.

Joel Rappaport
Round Rock, Texas