Sex Videos

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Tue, 04 Aug 1998 10:24:27 -0500

Joel & List,

Unfortunately this is another problem spawned by the information age.  The
solicitation program scans servers for mail boxes and places a copy of the
message (spam) in each.  This is not too different than the automated
telemarketing systems of a few years back where the usere selected a range of
phone numbers and the machine auto-dialed each number until it was answered.
It then played a solicitation message giving the answerer an opportunity to
talk to the machine.  Well, it seemed harmless enough until it got into, say,
the Houston Medical Center and dialed hundreds of patients rooms, or worse, it
inadvertantly came on at 2:00 a.m. and began polling.

Regulation of this sort of thing is generally seen as censorship and violation
of our human freedoms of speech and publication.  In addition, even if it were
regulated by the U.S. government, it's a simple matter to place your web site
on an offshore server.  There will always be places where this sort of thing is
legal as long is there is income generated.

There is a counter to this, however.  If every one of us who are offended by
this type of e-mail message were to send a post back to the sender stating our
views and our contempt for their product, we would then jam their server.
According to a webmaster friend of mine, this type of solicitation is met with
about 1% to 3% favorable response.  Imagine wading through 97% unfavorable
replys - especially when there have been thousands of messages sent.

Danny Moore