E-main virus danger

KCW kw2@acsu.buffalo.edu
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 11:51:39 -0400 (EDT)

Hi list,
	First, this is not a virus.  It's simply another security problem
with email program that comes with free web browsers.  Basically it's a
buffer overflow problem with email headers and it's very dangerous.  By
attaching a very long filename someone can make your computer execute any
commands (like formating your harddrive!).  Or it can make your program
crash even if you don't open the email.  Microsoft came up with one patch
but it was flowed.  I don't know if they came up with a real patch but if
enough people are interested, I can try to find it and post.
	I'm sure there're more security bugs in email programs by
Microsoft and Netscape.  A better solution would be to use unix shell
email programs.  They have a long history plus you'll never have to wait
for your email program to download mail from your ISP.  Ask your internet
consultant about using unix shell email programs.

regards,

Kuang