pianotech-digest V1997 #1018

Jory A. Olson jory@teleport.com
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 23:38:23 -0700

Date:	Wed, 5 Aug 1998 23:53:06 -0400
From:	"Elian Degen" <degen@telcel.net.ve>
Subject:	RV:computers

* Stuff Snipped
*=20
Sorry to correct you, it comes from turning it on and of, but it is not =
a thermal shock, it is a rapture effect, it is the same principle used =
in the old car=B4s ignition system, ( the ones that used points in the =
distribuitor ) whenever you open a circuit there is an arc that produces =
a peak of very high voltage and low amperage, and that is fatal for all =
IC=B4s (integrated circuits) as it is static electricity, that is why it =
is very important to have a voltage regulator, a good grounding and use =
the computer switch to turn it off ( computer switches are designed to =
send any arc to ground.
* More Stuffed Snipped
*=20

Jory Writes:

I don't normally get into debates on the Internet because it's usually a =
waste of my time however the above statement is one of those "Urban =
Legend" things that circulate around and serve only to misinform the =
general public.  I'll leave the piano stuff to you folks, since I'm no =
expert on pianos, however, as an electrical engineer with 15 years of =
experience I can say without hesitation that the statement above is =
false.

The affect Elian is referring to is referred to in engineering circles =
as "Inductive Kick".  I've never heard of "rapture effect" outside of =
discussions of religion.  From high school physics you might remember =
that the voltage across an inductor is the inductance in Henry's times =
the time rate of change of current or di/dt.  When you open a switch the =
current tries to go to zero instantaneously meaning di/dt goes to =
infinity.  In practice the voltage doesn't do to infinity because there =
are no perfect inductors in real life.

Another way to think of it is that an inductor is surrounded by a =
magnetic field.  As the current is shut off the magnetic field collapses =
causing a very large voltage to appear across the inductor much like a =
changing magnetic field in a generator induces a current in the rotor =
winding.  You may also remember something from physics about how =
inductors try to keep current constant and capacitors try to keep =
voltage constant.  All of these are saying the same thing.

You all have witnessed "Inductive Kick" in action.  Have you every =
noticed how the lights get really bright momentarily when older =
refrigerators, air conditioners, power equipment, etc are turned off?  =
That's inductive kick in action.  You might also have seen arcing in the =
switch when you shut off a power saw or some like that.  You might also =
have noticed that certain relays, switches, etc are rated for "20 Amps, =
10 Amps Inductive".  This is because the inductive kick tends to eat the =
contacts of the switch as the voltage goes up and the switch arcs over.

Elian is correct about car ignition, except that all cars even modern =
ones use the same principle to generate a spark for the ignition.  When =
the points close the ignition coil (an inductor by the way) is =
"charged", that is a magnetic field is generated around it.  When the =
points open the inductive kick creates a very large voltage (several =
thousand volts) that creates a spark at the spark plug that ignites the =
air/fuel mixture in the cylinder.  Modern cars use something called an =
igniter, instead of points, but the principle is the same.

So what does this have to do with computers?  No much and that's the =
point.  If even the computer power supply was very inductive (which for =
many reasons mostly having to do with power conservation they are not =
really allowed to be inductive) the inductive kick would appear across =
the power switch not the electronics.  It would be very bad if ANY of =
the AC line voltage was present on the components inside the computer.  =
In fact, Underwriter's Laboratory or other regulatory agency would not =
register such a product.  There are many, many standard engineering =
practices backed up by testing to assure that you, the user, are safe, =
and AC line voltage inside the box where they could get onto your mouse =
for example is simply not tolerated.  You can sleep better at night =
knowing that there is a whole set of regulations designed with the sole =
intent of keeping the user safe.

Study, after study on the reliability of electronic circuits has shown =
that temperature cycling is the major killer of electronics.  In fact, =
Highly Accelerated Life Test (HALT) systems designed to quickly "age" =
products to failure rapidly temperature cycle the system being "aged" =
while vibrating it.  For example, connectors tend to get loose and =
oxidize under many temperature cycles.  The most reliable parts of your =
computer are the semiconductors.  To have an IC die is quite unusual.  =
The mechanical parts usually go first unless the semiconductors are not =
properly cooled.  Since most computer manufacturers are using HALT =
testing, you the consumer, can be assured that it would be very hard =
kill your computer by turning it on and off.  You are FAR more likely to =
have the computer go obsolete than to die.  Of course if you're buying a =
clone computer from a high school kid that "builds" them in his garage, =
then anything could happen.  I'm referring to computers made by major =
manufacturers.

Sorry this turned into another lecture, but I want to do my part to =
stomp out this "Urban Legend".  I hope I haven't offended you Elian.  I =
mean no offense.

Jory

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available