Elmer's Slide-All vs. Permalon vs. Protek PROlube

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 21:53:20 -0500

Dear Friends,

Recently I used up my can of Permalon lubricant and had not yet ordered
more.  I went to the local hardware store and purchased a can of Elmer's
Slide-All dry spray lubricant with Teflon.  I notice that the Slide-All
spray leaves a white film or coating on the surface being lubricated.

Aside from the white coating, I think Slide-All works all right.  The can
is only 4 oz.,  so it is small and easily portable.  Also, I can get
Slide-All at my local hardware store, and it is a lot cheaper than Permalon.

(See product description of Slide-All at the bottom of the message.)

On the other hand, Permalon is a standard lubricant for pianos, dries clear
and I know how well it works for lubricating key-pins (Thanks, Kent)
repetition levers and other parts.  But the Permalon is much more
expensive, can't be purchased locally and I think it only comes in a 16 oz.
can which takes up a lot more space.

Protek PROlube also comes in a 4 oz. spray bottle (which is even smaller
than the can of Slide-All).  Protek PROlube is made by a piano technician
specifically for use on pianos.  Like Permalon, PROlube is only available
from the piano supply houses, not my local hardware store.

The label reads:  Protek PROlube is an advanced state polymer spray
lubricant.  Built around the successful CLP formula, PROlube is designed
for higher friction areas like the key bed and key frame, shift and
sostenuto mechanisms.  It is great for front and balance rail key pins,
damper guide rail, wires and anywhere you would use a spray lubricant.

One thing I don't care for with PROlube is that it takes a lot of pumping
to get the spray out.  Each short burst of spray takes one pump with your
finger on the button.  The other two spray lubricants are under pressure in
the can and the spray keeps coming out as long as the button is depressed.

Which would be your preference for a spray lubricant, and why?

Thanks!
David Vanderhoofven

The front of the can reads:

Elmer's Slide-All with Teflon
Dry Spray Lubricant
More slip than silicone or graphite -- no oily stain
Danger:  Extremely Flammable. Contents under pressure.
Net Wt. 4 oz. (113.39 Grams)
Teflon is a registered trade-mark of E. I. duPont Nemours & Co.

The back of the can reads:

Elmer's Slide-All with Teflon
The all purpose DRY spray lubricant that stops sticking & squeaking with no
oily stain.
*Quick, Clean, Dry
*For metal, wood, rubber, glass, paint, leather, fabric, many plastics
*Won't stain most things
*Resistant to water, oil, solvents
*More 'slip' than graphite, oil , or silicone
Perfect for balky doors, windows, drawers, locks, zippers, musical
instruments, moving machinery parts.  Great for skates, bikes, sleds, skis,
reels, guns.
Easy to Use --
Preparation:  Surfaces should be clean and dry.  Note:  Test inconspicuous
area for product compatibility to surface and for spray pattern.
Application:  Shake well.  (For narrow spray pattern hold can closer; for
broad spray pattern hold can farther away).  Hold can upright about 6" from
surface.  Spray lightly.  Try moving parts -- re-spray if necessary.
Clean-up:  With clean cloth or brush.  Wash hands with soap and water.
CAUTION:  Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 F.  Exposure to
heat or prolonged direct sunlight may cause bursting.  Avoid open flames,
sparks, pilot lights.  Do not smoke.  Vapors may ignite explosively.  Do
not spray on or near food, tobacco products nor in eyes.  If eyes are
accidently sprayed flush immediately with cold water.  Use with adequate
ventilation. Keep away from children.
Borden, Inc., Dept. CP
Columbus, Ohio
43215, U.S.A.

I know this is more than you wanted to know!  Would someone care to post
what the label on the can of Permalon says?  (I don't have a can handy).
Thanks!

David A. Vanderhoofven
dkvander@clandjop.com
Joplin, Missouri