Set New Bass Strings

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 21:30:17 -0600

Hi John,
         By you question it would seem that you are entering new water,
unless you are sure that the custom string maker can make a better set of
strings than Yamaha, I would order the strings from the manufacture.At
least you will be sure of consistency, 360 degree twist is recommended. I
frequently just removed the dampers and replaced the strings. Experience
over the years has led me into the habit of replacing the dampers whenever
I restring, I find it saves a lot time in chasing bleding dampers. The
older dampers will have coil set in them from the old strings, the new
strings will not line up. Droping the tension on the bass only on a 20yr
old Yamaha should present no problems.
  Another advantage of ordering from Yamaha is that the piano stays at
pitch untill you are ready to start. Start at note #1 first remove 4
strings to give room to work, and start replacing the strings and pulling
them up to pitch as you go, install one, remove one and so on. This method
creates the least amount of trama to the piano and will get you to a stable
condition in the quickest possible manner.
 Hope this helps. Roger

At 11:11 AM 24/08/98 +1000, you wrote:
>List,
>What is the best way go about fitting a complete new set of bass strings.
>I would like to send the complete set of old bass strings to the string
>maker for duplication (20 year old Yamaha so I figure the scale will be
>better than I can do).  However, I am worried about the uneven stresses of
>removing all the bass strings with the rest of the piano at pitch.
>
>Appreciate any advise.
>
>Regards,
>John Woodrow
>Sydney, Australia