Loose Plate bolts = ?

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 22:02:22 -0600

Hi There!

Well, try this. Pick a grand piano that doesn't have the Baldwin or Yamaha
suspended plate system. Make sure it is one with a full properly installed
DamppChaser system. Tune it. NOW tighten the plate bolts and check the
pitch and tuning. If the tuning changes then the bolts were loose. If it
doesn't then they were already tight enough. I suppose you could try
loosening them too--but I don't think that is a great idea!

At 09:17 PM 8/30/98 -0500, you wrote:

>In the twenty - plus years I've been in this business, I haven't ONCE made a
>definite correlation between tuning instability and loose plate bolts, let
>alone strings needing tapped down on bridges (but we can save that one for
>round two).
>
>I do get a definite correlation between humidity fluctuations and tuning
>instability, according to my tuning records.
Regards,
"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"
drose@dlcwest.com
http://www.dlcwest.com/~drose/